A Thankful Heart

I never thought of myself as an ungrateful person.  That's the thing about sinfulness though, it gives you a false sense of self.

Jesus Calling, April 6th:
"Before Satan tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, thankfulness was as natural as breathing."

Though I hadn't considered myself an ungrateful person, I knew darn well thankfulness wasn't as frequent, nor as imperative to me as breathing.

Jesus Calling, continued:
"When you focus on what you don't have or on situations that displease you, your mind also becomes darkened. You take for granted life, salvation, sunshine, flowers, and countless other gifts from Me. You look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is "fixed"."

Straight to the heart.

Today's devo entry could not have come to me on a more perfect day.  You see, on Wednesdays I care for my mom.  I love her, but our days together are hard.  Sometimes physically.  Mostly though, emotionally.  When someone you love is chronically ill, the grieving process just resets every so often.  You constantly realize things lost and you have to grieve over them.  For me, it's really hard to let those things go after I've grieved.  Instead of being grateful that I get to spend time with my mom, or simply that my mom is even in my life, I fixate on the things that are difficult or imperfect in our relationship.  Most Wednesdays, I'm stubborn and hard-hearted and I'm ungrateful.  There's really no sugar coating that.

Sarah Young included this verse in today's devo:
"I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and will call on the name of the LORD."
Psalm 116:17

The beautiful thing is that we don't have to fix our own hearts.  When we offer our sacrifices of thanksgiving to YHWH, the God who was and is and will always be, the God who cares for us and sustains us and relentlessly pursues our hearts, He is faithful to respond.

Jesus Calling, continued:
"When you approach Me with thanksgiving, the Light of My Presence pours into you, transforming you through and through."

Cheers to a brand new day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Thursday

{Psalm 8}

On Repeat Lately